Staying fit and losing weight is statistically the most common New Years resolution in 2016. The good news is that 75% of people are able to achieve or maintain their resolutions in the first week after setting them. The bad news is that 8% are able to achieve their goals to complete satisfaction throughout the rest of the year. Lets work on raising those statistics this year, or at least make sure that BBS YEG is in that top 8%. In order to do so, we have masterminded 10 simple steps to help you conquer those fitness goals and keep your motivation when the novelty of a resolution begins to wear off.
1) Make Your Goals Measurable – Being able to physically see or feel change is one of the greatest motivations. So instead of saying that your goal is to “get stronger" make your goal to go up a weight size during arm series or hold plank for 2 minutes during that max plank hold at the end of class. Keep track of your resolution by physical performance in barre class or at the gym. Another good example is, rather than making your resolution to “drink more water” set a measurable goal of how many L’s you want to drink per day. This way you can actually track your progress.
2) Hold Yourself Accountable to Your Goals - Make your goals challenging, yet achievable. Remember that this is a personal ambition, so create your own personal motivation, and from that will come personal accountability. One way to do this is by writing them down, and keeping it somewhere prominent. Daily reminders are always a good thing! If your goals are related to health and fitness, keeping a journal is a great strategy. Use this journal as a food and fitness log, also write down accomplishments and you can even log how you’re feeling about your resolutions.
3) Tell Your Friends About It – Share your resolutions with family and friends, you can also ask them about theirs! Nothing is possible without a solid support system. Your barretenders are a good place to start, we want to hear each and every one of those pretty little resolutions.
4) Use Social Media as a Tool – You’re obviously hip on the social scene if you’re reading our BBS blog... now get out there into cyberspace and utilize every social media outlet that you can to help you achieve your resolutions. Follow similar pages for motivational quotes, new exercises, and even some healthy recipes. Follow us on insta & twitter: @barrebodyyeg
5) Find a Work Out Buddy – Okay we get it, despite our best efforts in step #2, sometimes we are not always the best motivators for ourselves… that’s where your barre bestie comes in. Find another person with similar goals to your own and push each other to keep on track. Plus, we do love our girl squads/ power duos @ the barre.
6) Get Prepared – This step is SO important. If your resolution is to eat healthier, meal prep is key! Rid the pantry of all the junk, say goodbye to those Christmas cookies, and embrace the healthy eats week by week. If your resolution is to hit the barre more, book your classes in advance. At the beginning of the week sit down and book time in your schedule for yourself, then stick to it!
7) Treat Yourself – Choose a reward for yourself once you meet your goal, or any milestone towards your goal. There is always the classic “when I lose 10 pounds, I’m buying new clothes.” And while we love a good shopping spree, lets be real … you can be more creative then that! Promise yourself a weekend get away or a spa package or any thing else that is going to make you WORK!
8) Believe In Yourself – This might seem like and obvious one, but is it really? Pursue your resolution with confidence in yourself and your commitment to achieving your goals. Take pride in every accomplishment along the way. And most of all be proud of yourself! You are your #1 cheerleader!
9) Recommit To Your Goal - We are only human, sometimes we mess up and stray from those resolutions. Once you catch yourself wandering from that "new year, new me" mindset. Remember why you started, where you are going, and jump back in the game! Recommit everyday!